I recommend smudging to many of my clients, students and callers on my radio show as a way to clear negative energy and negative entities. In the video above and in this article, I relay the history behind smudging, the reasons for using a smudge stick, the best type to purchase and how to burn sage to clear negative energy and entities.
Smudging is a sacred Native American tradition of using white sage to clear negative energy and entities. It is my first line of defense in my home and in my intuitive practice when negative energy needs to be cleared. Even my youngest son, currently age 5, will come tell me when it’s time to cleanse his room because he can sense it.
There are a variety of reasons why you would use a smudge stick. Here are just a few examples:
- A child is frightened of his/her room.
- Cleanse a crystal, a piece of furniture, or any other object that you’re recently acquired or purchased. You don’t know how many people have touched those objects and put their energy on them. Or maybe you need to re-cleanse an object at some point, such as a crystal that you’ve used frequently and need to cleanse and recharge.
- Cleansing a home, office or even land. This may be because you’ve recently moved in or because you can detect negative energy or entities there.
- You might cleanse a hotel or meeting space upon arriving.
- If you suspect that someone may have a negative entity attached to them, burning sage in their aura may be able to cleanse it.
- Regularly cleaning your living and work space is a good ritual for keeping it clear.
- Full/new moon ceremony, solstice ceremonies, etc.
I recommend white sage that has been hand-collected and hand-tied. This is the only type I buy because I feel it is collected with love and the intention behind it is pure.
To burn sage, take your smudge stick and light it until there is a good amount of smoke. Blow out any flames. The smoke is what clears the energy so you want a stick that really produces a lot of smoke. They don’t all smoke well. As you can see in the video, the type I use produces a great deal of smoke. You want to make sure that you always turn it in a counter-clockwise motion. When smudging a house or room, be sure you “get” the doorways, mirrors, windows and the corners of the rooms and ceilings. These are the places that the negative energy and entities get in or congregate. For a person, you want to make sure the smoke gets in the person’s aura.
I do recommend that if your child is old enough to safely handle the smudge stick, let them cleanse their own room. This empowers them to take control over their space and the energy there.
Smudging is a sacred ritual and should be practiced as such. While there are many times and places to use white sage for cleansing, these are simply the more common ways and methods of using it today. Please share your experiences with burning sage in the comments below.